The way “pass-through” works is quite similar to previous versions such as BLHeli_S. Basically it uses the flight controller as a programming tool or adapter to allow the computer to talk to the ESC’s directly, so you can change settings or flash new firmware etc.
However, there are some extra steps to take because BLHeli_32 is a complete new thing.
- You will need to flash Betaflight V3.2 or newer firmware on your FC, currently it’s not yet released officially and still in Beta, but you can download it from: http://andwho.sytes.net:8080/job/BorisB_BetaFlight/
- Load the firmware target for your FC locally, and flash (shouldn’t need to short bootloader pins)
- Download latest BLHeliSuite for BLHeli_32: https://blhelisuite.wordpress.com/
As usual, your BLHeli_32 ESC connects to the FC, and powered by LiPo battery.
Also make sure your computer is connected to the internet! Otherwise firmware flashing is not going to work. Changing settings and configuration is fine without internet though.
Now you are ready!
- In the BLHeliSuite32 configurator, click “Select BLHeli32 interface, and choose “BLHeli Bootloader (Cleanflight)”
- At the bottom of the window, Port, choose the COM port of your flight controller, and click “Connect”
- Once it’s connected, click “Read Setup” and your ESC will be read
I can’t connect to my BLHeli_32 ESC with pass-through even with the latest BLHeliSuite32 app. My FC is loaded with the latest firmware. However I can connect to other ESC (not 32bit) without problem with the old BLHeliSuitE.
Your FC is probably not V3.2. You are using the latest stable release which is V3.1.X. V3.2 is not released yet and you need to download it from the link above and load it locally.
I am getting an error when trying to flash new firmware: “Unable to establish server connection!”.
This error occurs when you have no working internet connection on your computer. BLHeliSuite32 checks if your BLHeli32 ESC’s are genuine before flashing new firmware to them. No internet, no check and thus it fails.
I am getting error “Initialization of serial 1wire passthrough or 4way interface failed! Please check Betaflight revision for support of serial 1wire passthrough or 4way interface!”
I was also getting this error when using my Naze32 (F1) flight controller, even with Betaflight V3.2 already installed. I had no way around this error, and I had to use a F3 FC in the end. Maybe BLHeli32 passthrough is not supported in F1 FC’s.