Inside the Taranis X9D+ and QX7, there is a built-in RF module, they too have their own firmware. In this tutorial I will show you how to update the firmware on the Taranis internal RF module.
Benefits of Updating Taranis Internal RF Module Firmware
- Bug fixes and improvement
- For the Original Taranis X9D+, If your Taranis doesn’t work with long range LR12 mode (L9R receivers), updating to the latest XJT firmware will fix that
- To comply with your local regulation regarding the usage of RF. There are the EU firmware for those inside the EU, and International firmware for everyone else
- For the last point, you might get receivers with the “wrong” firmware on it, and they won’t bind to your Taranis. You can either flash the receiver, or your Taranis internal RF module to the matching firmware
Here is a tutorial how to flash firmware to Frsky radio receivers.
How to tell if you have EU or International firmware?
Steps to Flash Taranis Internal RF Module
The same process applies to all , and X9D+ 2019 radios.
Download firmware file
- X9D+, Q X7: https://www.frsky-rc.com/xjt/ (EU uses LBT version, the rest use FCC)
- X9D+ 2019: https://www.frsky-rc.com/taranis-x9d-plus-2019/
Copy the .frk file to your SD card, “FIRMWARE” folder on the SD card.
On your radio, hold down the Menu button for 2 seconds, and navigate to page “SD Card” using the Page button.
Scroll down to the “FIRMWARE” folder and select the .frk file that was copied there, hold down the Enter button and select “Flash internal module” in the drop down list.
Flashing takes about a minute or so.
- Dec 2018 – article created
- Sep 2019 – Updated article for Taranis X9D+ 2019