On the first day of every month, I will post FPV related news from the past month including some interesting product releases and firmware updates. If I miss any important news please kindly remind me in the comment.
Last month’s news: FPV News in December 2022
DJI FPV System New Updates
06 Jan 2023
- New firmware are available for the following devices:
- DJI O3 Air Unit Firmware: V01.02.0000
- DJI FPV Goggles V2 Firmware: V01.06.0000
- DJI Goggles 2 Firmware: V01.04.0000
- Remote Controller Firmware: V02.00.0500
- Added support for the DJI O3 Air Unit to record video at [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] When used with DJI Goggles 2, [email protected], 2.7[email protected], and [email protected] are also supported.
- Added ability to set the sharpness and noise reduction value. Go to Settings, Camera, Advanced Camera Settings in the goggles menu to set the value (I tested these values here)
- The time for DJI O3 Air Unit to enter low-power state after stopping the aircraft motors has been changed from three seconds to six seconds.
- Improved D-Cinelike to 10bit, providing more possibilities for post-processing.
- Optimized the camera exposure in some backlighting scenarios to avoid over-dark in shadow areas.
- Optimized the remote controller signal in some scenarios.
- Restart DJI O3 Air Unit, the remote controller, and goggles after the update is complete.
- If update fails, restart DJI O3 Air Unit and DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series), then try again.
How to Update?
- For Goggles 2 and O3 AU, connect them to DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series).
- For Goggles V2, if you previously rooted and installed WTFOS, you need to uninstall WTFOS first as shown here: https://oscarliang.com/fpv-wtf-root-hack-dji/#How-To-Update-DJI-Firmware-After-Rooting. Your goggles are still rooted (it’s permanently) so you can always roll back and install WTFOS again if you want. Don’t worry. If you previously installed updates to work with O3 AU, then you can go ahead and update in DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series).
HDZero Rev 06012023
06 Jan 2023
- VTX update
- Added HDMI in 1080p60/720p100 support and bug fix.
23 Jan 2023
Who should update from V3.1?
- Anyone using a PWM RX and set failsafe values from Lua
- Owners of the new Radiomaster hardware listed below
- Anyone using 868/915 receivers and wanting to use higher power for telemetry output
- The other fixes listed do not affect flight performance, and the features are either minor or not yet available (Gemini) due to lack of commercial hardware.
- Gemini 2.4GHz #1914 ExpressLRS Gemini Tx
- Module Configuration Import/Export for backing up or cloning your TX #1943
- Configurable TX PWM fan speeds based on power output level #2011
- The telemetry power on 868/900mhz receivers can now be selected from 10mW, 25mW, or 50mW via the Lua (note, this was technically included in version 3.1.2, but was missed in the release notes) #1981
- Fixes DIY hardware with different pin mappings and allows auto WiFi mode to be entered. (sx1280) #1990
- Fixes WiFi updating on ESP8285 based receivers due to not enough space. #2019 #2024
- Minor fix that may improve RX connection after a failsafe if the frequency has drifted. #1997
- Fix PWM output for ESP32 based receivers. Note that no ESP32 base PWM RX are currently available commercially. #1951
- Fix PWM failsafe value channel mapping #2020
- Free up some more RAM on ESP8285 based devices #2026
- Add condition to prevent config commits from the main loop while in WiFi update mode #2037
- Fix visibility of TLM status on the web UI. #2035
- Improve wifi scanning #2036
28 Jan 2023
There are way too many new features and changes, see my BF4.4 overview and how to update here.
Release note: https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/releases/
INAV 6 “Horizon Hawk” Release Candidate 1
29 Jan 2023
Release notes: https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/releases/tag/6.0.0-RC1
Let me know if there’s anything important missing, like new firmware or products that are worth mentioning.