To take advantage of the TX16S, T18 and T16’s big beautiful color screen, you can upload custom splash image, background image and model images to the radios. You can follow the same steps in this tutorial on any OpenTX radios with same LCD.
The RadioMaster TX16S is my new daily driver, you can get it from:
Image Size/Format Requirement
- Path: /IMAGE/splash.png
- Dimensions: 480×272 px
- Path: /THEMES/DEFAULT/background.png
- Dimensions: 480×272 px
- Path: /IMAGE/******.png (image name max 6 characters)
- Dimensions: 192×114 px
I have a folder full of images you can download, https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1K-rlJuF6ITKTlGCY536bvWW4xn3A5S5H?usp=sharing
What’re Splash Image, Background Image and Model Images?
Splash image is displayed at startups (when you power on the radio).
Background image is displayed all the time in the background.
Model images are the icon/logo you want to assigned to each model profile.
Like the interface color and layout? You can do the same, or get creative and create your own style following this guide.
How to Put Images in Radio
- Choose a image in my folder, or search on Google (images.google.com)
- Make sure the image has the required dimension and file format (480×272, PNG), if not you have to first edit it
- Open the image in your favourite image editor (for example, Gimp or Photoshop)
- Resize/crop the image to 480×272 px
- Save the image in PNG format
- Rename the image file to splash.png / background.png
- Lastly, place the image file in the required directory on the SD card inside the radio
- For Splash.png = > /IMAGE/
- For Background => /THEMES/DEFAULT/
- Optionally, it’s best to compress the images, the smaller the image, the faster it loads. There are a ton of image compressors online, just google “png file compressor”
Splash image and background image are interchangeable since the image sizes are the same.
There are two ways to access the SD card inside an OpenTX radio:
- Take SD card out of the radio and insert it to your computer
- Or, connect the radio with a USB cable. But first you have to enter bootloader mode
Splash / Background Image Not Showing?
If your image doesn’t work, try to open both the original image file from the radio and your new image, then copy your image and overwrite the original image. Save it and copy it back to the radio.
Also try to compress the images to similar size as the original file.
Setting Custom Model Images
- Choose a image in my folder, or search on Google (images.google.com). Make sure the image has the required dimension and file format (192×114, PNG), if not you have to edit it
- Rename the image file anything you like, but make sure the filename doesn’t exceed 6 characters
- Place the image file in the IMAGE folder (same folder as background.png)
- Finally go to Model Settings in the radio, and select Model Image (under Model Name)