This article shows you how to modify PID and VTX settings from your Taranis TX in RaceFlight Revolt flight controller, with the help of Lua script.
This tutorial is written by Artur Banach, edited by Oscar.
PID tuning doesn’t require a computer anymore, you can now do it right from your TX! You can even adjust VTX settings such as channel and power with Tramp or Unify Pro. This guide is written for the Raceflight Revolt FC specifically. However you can do the same with Betaflight and KISS.
- For KISS: https://oscarliang.com/change-pid-vtx-settings-taranis-lua-kiss/
- For Betaflight: https://oscarliang.com/betaflight-change-pid-vtx-settings-taranis/
- Taranis X9D or QX7 TX
- X4R-SB or XSR RX (Smart Port required)
- Revolt Flight Controller with Raceflight One – We have only tested the Revolt and Lumenier Skitzo FC (basically the same board), according to DemonRC this also work on their Soul FC
- TBS Unify Pro VTX (ImmersionRC Tramp is not supported currently) – Only needed if you want to be able to change VTX settings from Taranis
Connection – FC, RX and VTX
Connect S.PORT from X4R or XSR to RX3 pad on the FC. (The Skitzo board shown here is identical to Revolt V2 FC)
SmartAudio wire from TBS Unify Pro needs to be connected to the TX3 pad on the FC as shown in the picture.
Update Your Taranis Firmware
FrSky Taranis has to be updated to the latest OpenTX firmware (we tested V2.2 RC14). The process is covered in this tutorial: https://oscarliang.com/flash-opentx-firmware-taranis/.
Download LUA Script for RaceFlight
The LUA script for Raceflight (rf.lua) can be downloaded from here: https://raceflight.net/taranis/. Apart from the LUA script file, there are also the latest OpenTX firmware and its SD Card content.
Next, copy the LUA file to your Taranis SD card, in the /SCRIPTS/TELEMETRY folder.
The following options must be selected in RF1 configurator for this to work:
- Enable Taranis telemetry (RX3 pin)
- Select USART 3 TX under SmartAudio
Don’t forget to press SAVE.
Setting up LUA script on telemetry page
Assuming you have SmartPort (S.Port) telemetry working, and you have copied the rf.lua file to /SCRIPTS/TELEMETRY folder on the Taranis SD card, now we can proceed to to the final step.
Go to page 13 DISPLAY in your Taranis. Here you can configure which telemetry screen to execute the LUA script when pressing the PAGE button.
In Screen 1, choose Script as the first parameter, and then select the RF Lua script in the 2nd parameter.
After this you can activate RF LUA script by holding down the PAGE button. Here is what it looks like when the script is active.
Quite different from KISS and Betaflight, Raceflight uses sticks to operate. To enter program mode, you need to push both sticks toward the bottom center position (throttle down yaw right, and pitch down roll left), and hold it for around 3 seconds.
Here is how to change something:
- “>” symbol is the cursor indicating which option you are at
- You can move the cursor up and down with the pitch stick
- You can select an option to change its value by pushing stick to the right (roll right)
- To change value you can move the stick up and down (pitch)
- Once you have finished changing, push the stick to the left (roll left) to exit the option
First page that comes up is the VTX settings: Band, Channel, Power. After modifying VTX settings, remember to select “Set and Exit” to save your changes.
To access the PID section, select “VTX” option at the top of the menu.
Page 2 is for Roll PID.
Page 3 is for Pitch PID.
And Page 4 is for Yaw PID.
After changing PID you must hit SAVE before leaving to the next page, otherwise you will lose the changes. please note that there is no option to adjust rate/expo in Raceflight Lua script.
Finally Page 5 is for Returning to VTX settings page or to exit program mode.
Once you have exited program mode, press the “Exit” button right next to the Taranis screen to leave telemetry screen, and you are ready to fly.
That should be it! Have fun tuning PID and modifying VTX settings right on your Taranis in the field! :)