As I am building my DIY motor thrust measuring station, I was looking for a decent yet simple watt meter. This is an essential tool if you as you progress in the RC hobby. Check out my post about tools and equipment for multirotor.
I came across this Turnigy 7in1 Mega Meter from Hobbyking, that is able to do a lot of useful things all by this compact device. I was sold by the specification, and the affordable price. For $40 you get the following features:
- Battery Cell/Voltage Checker
- Battery Internal Resistance Checker (check Lipo battery health)
- Watt Meter (Amps/Watts/Volts)
- Servo Tester
- Optical Tacho (give you motor/propeller RPM figure, used in Thrust calculator)
- Temp Gauge
- Thrust Calculator
- Battery Internal Resistance Meter
First impression is the quality is actually not bad. There is a temperature probe, input/output wires and a cable for checking lipo internal resistance provided. You need to solder your own connectors to the wires.
However there are a few drawbacks about this unit.
- It can’t run servo tester and watt meter at same time, if you want to test your motors with watt meter, you will need an external servo tester to control the ESC.
- The servo tester doesn’t have centre servo option, it’s got a knob, but it takes some effort to turn it exactly 1500us.
- Quite a few people complained on the product page that their unit has a faulty voltage reading, in the watt meter page. However mine seems fine, maybe a quality control issue.
Here is the manual for my future reference.
Here are the spec.
- Dimensions: 95.3mm x 72.8mm x 21.5mm
- Weight: 85g
- LCD Screen Size: 52mm x 30mm
- Max Input Voltage: 60v
- Voltage Display Resolution: 0.001v
- Max Current: 100A
- Shunt Resistance: 0.001ohm
- Displayed Resolution A: 0.01
- Temperature Resolution: 1 Celsius / 1 Farenheit
- PPM Signal Output: 750uS ~ 2150uS
- Prop Blade Measuring Range: 1~5
- Prop RPM Range: 1~60,000 RPM
- Power Leads
- Temp Sensor Lead