After nearly 5 years, Runcam has finally brought back the Runcam 2, but this time with 4K capability! It was such a popular HD camera back then when mini quad was just taking off, can it do it again now with so much competition?
Where to Buy?
Runcam is taking pre-order, shipping at end of May: https://bit.ly/3cXcmTJ
Specs and Features
Some basic specs:
- 4K 30FPS
- 2.7K 30/60FPS
- 1080p 60/120FPS
- Bitrate: 60Mbps
- Codec: H.264
- FOV: 3 levels, 155°, 142° and 130°
- File Format: MP4
- Video Saved Automatically in Power Off
- Micro USB Interface
- Supports WiFi to your phone, iOS/Android App available
- Light weight: 49g including 850mah battery
- Supports Micro SD Card up to 128GB (see my SD card recommendations)
- Built-in Shielding to prevent interference to 433MHz and GPS radio frequency
It has AV output, so you can use it as an FPV camera while recording HD footage, latency is not really noticeable similar to dedicated FPV cams.
It can be powered directly from a LiPo battery or BEC with voltage between 5V to 17V (up to 4S) via the USB port. If you are doing so with a BEC, make sure it can deliver enough current (2.5W – 0.5A at 5V).
The Runcam 2 was popular because of the aerodynamic form factor for FPV drones and planes. It is also one of the lightest HD cameras and so much more affordable compared to the GoPro’s.
The 4K edition continues with these features, but now they’ve also added the ability to shoot videos at 2.7K and 4K resolutions. You can also shoot 120FPS at 1080p for some slow motion footage.
The battery can be removed, and you can power the camera from external sources to save some weight and extends recording time.
Another great addition is the adjustable shutter speed and ISO:
- Adjustable shutter speeds: Auto 1/30 1/50 1/60 1/100 1/120 1/240
- Adjustable ISO: Auto/100/200/400/800/1600/3200
Finally, you can now start and stop recording using your radio switches. All you have to do is connect the camera to the flight controller, and set it up in Betaflight. This is well explained in the manual.
For a full list of specs and features, check out the online manual here: https://www.runcam.com/download/runcam2-4k/RC2_4K_MANUAL_EN.pdf