Here are some of the best micro long range FPV drones that have an AUW (all up weight) of under 250g. Long range flying with micro quad is a new trend, it’s very efficient and a lot less scary than flying bigger rigs.
Most of these micro long range FPV drones are 4″, because this is the maximum prop size that still allow the quad to stay under 250g including a decent size battery. Prop size is important as it affects your motor choice, as well as ESC choice – all play a huge role in the overall weight of the craft. Bigger props often are more efficient as well with the larger disk area, generally speaking, a 4″ is more efficient than 3″ or 2″.
|Flywoo Explorer 4"||GEPRC Baby Croc 4"||iFlight Chimera 4"||Diatone Roma F4|
|Weight w/o Battery (DJI Version)||163g||161g||184g||157g|
|Camera (DJI Version)||Nebula V2|
|VTX Power (Analogue Version)||450mW||600mW||800mW||400mW|
|Max Battery Used to Remain U-250g||4S 650mAh||4S 750mAh||4S 450mAh||4S 750mAh|
Flywoo Explorer LR
- RDQ – https://oscarliang.com/product-x1lh
- GetFPV – https://oscarliang.com/product-yvbt
- Banggood: https://oscarliang.com/product-ia95
- GetFPV: https://oscarliang.com/product-qouz
- Banggood: https://oscarliang.com/product-x2nl
- RDQ: https://oscarliang.com/product-vcs7
I had one of the best long range experience with the Flywoo Explorer – longest flight time and distance thanks to the efficient motor/prop combo. It flies smoothly out of the box, and GPS worked well for me. It comes with a self-powered buzzer which is really thoughtful.
Main downside might be the FC which lacks UART and it forces the DJI Vista to be connected via soft serial. It’s unreliable on Betaflight 4.2, 4.1 works though. Not a concern for analog version.
- Flywoo GOKU F411 FC
- Flywoo GOKU BS13A ESC
- NIN 1404 V2 2750KV Motor
- Gemfan 4024 Propeller
- Weight without Battery: 163g
GEPRC Crocodile Baby 4″
- Banggood (DJI Vista) – https://oscarliang.com/product-qnbb
- Banggood (DJI Nebula) – https://oscarliang.com/product-u25z
- Banggood (Analog Caddx Tarsier) – https://oscarliang.com/product-326l
- Banggood (Analog Caddx Ratel) – https://oscarliang.com/product-cmr
Slightly less flight time than the Flywoo with the same battery, but it flies absolutely beautifully and it’s really well constructed. As usual, GepRC delivers some of the best PID tunes out of the box.
Main downsides might be the lack of current sensor and wiring. And it uses a relatively large FC (Whoop style board) and the solder pads are located on the side making wire routing awkward, messy and exposed.
- FC / ESC Board: GEP-20A-F4
- GR1404 2750KV
- Gemfan 4042 Propellers
- Weight without Battery: 161g
iFlight Chimera 4 LR
- GetFPV: https://oscarliang.com/product-x5ih
- RDQ: https://oscarliang.com/product-6hl8
- Banggood: https://oscarliang.com/product-gxpq
- GetFPV: https://oscarliang.com/product-e1xu
- RDQ: https://oscarliang.com/product-6d0u
- Banggood: https://oscarliang.com/product-3mr2
This is more like a freestyle quad to me than a long range one. It’s significantly heavier, and it’s using higher KV, more powerful and less efficient motors. You are essentially getting a higher performance quad with less flight time, so it’s more suited for acro flying, but loses to other quads in terms of long range.
With that said, It can still give you more than 15 mins of flight time easily with a 4S Li-Ion pack, more than enough for most people. But because of the weight, it’s not a top choice if you care about staying under 250g.
- SucceX-E mini F4 FC
- 35A 4in1 ESC
- XING 1404 3800KV Motors
- Nazgul 4030 props
- Weight without Battery: 184g
Diatone Roma F4
- Banggood (DJI) – https://oscarliang.com/product-9bku
- Banggood (analogue) – https://oscarliang.com/product-hkr0
I really like the well designed frame of the Diatone Roma 4″. And just like Diatone’s other RTF quad, the hardware is top notch. It’s also one of the lightest quads in the list, probably why flight time is on par with the Flywoo Explorer.
The biggest problem with this quad is its tune. It doesn’t fly well out of the box, and has some noticeable oscillations even just cruising. GPS isn’t even setup so you’d have to do that yourself.
- MAMBA F405MINI MK3 Flight Controller
- MAMBA F30MINI 8BIT 4in1 ESC
- MAMBA 1404 3000KV Motors
- Weight without Battery: 157g
There is no single winner as they all have their merits. It depends on what your focus is.
If we are talking purely long range here, then the Flywoo Explorer and GepRC Crocodile Baby are my top choices. Between the two, I’d probably choose the Flywoo as it’s a bit more efficient. I am happy to just run Betaflight 4.1 as a work around to DJI Vista OSD issue. But if you don’t like that, you won’t be disappointed by getting the Baby Crocodile.
For a more all-round quad, consider the iFlight Chimera. It might not give you the longest flight time, but it’s more suited for freestyle and proximity flying. You can still get some serious flight time out of it with a 4S Li-Ion pack if you want. But if you plan to stay under 250g, this is probably not the one to get, unless you are okay to use a very small battery (such as 4S 450mAh).
Finally, if you are an experienced PID tuner, you can consider the Diatone Roma. It’s not tuned / setup out of the box and doesn’t fly perfectly, but its hardware and design is definitely outstanding.