There are more than one way to hold your radio sticks, and you could have been holding them wrong the whole time! You can pinch, or just use your thumbs. The debate of which way is best will perhaps never end, but you should explore and find your own style.
Most if not all FPV pilots are either thumbers, pinchers, or hybrid-pinchers by the way they control the radio sticks. Each way has pros and cons, and hopefully this article helps you decide which is the best for you.
If you don’t below to any of these groups, let us know in the comment! :D
By resting your thumbs on top of the sticks, you can grab and hold the radio securely with the rest of your fingers on the back of the radio. If you are a gamer, or new to the hobby, you’ll probably find this way more intuitive and natural.
- Easier to learn for most people since we probably all have experience from using gaming consoles
- On some radios, it’s easier to reach the auxiliary switches with your free index fingers
- Increased range of motion, your stick can travel further without the restraint from your index finger
- You can move the stick faster
- Works especially well on small radios
- Control is less precise than pinching
- Shaky fingers can get worse
Pinching the sides of the stick with both your index finger and thumb.
- It helps to stabilize movement if you have “shaky fingers” from either nervousness or cold weather
- Control is more precise and “smooth”
- It takes some getting used to
- It could be difficult to go full throw with the sticks, thus restricting full movement
- Depending on the radio, you might need a neck strap for additional support
Hybrid pinch is a cross between thumbing and pinching, basically placing your thumb directly on top of the stick, with your index finger gently resting on the side of the stick to help stabilize the movement.
This brings the best of both worlds, especially for those who are familiar with thumbing but are looking for better precision with their controls. Or if you just want to ease the symptom of shaky fingers, hybrid pinching is a good option to try.
Conclusion – Pinch or Thumb?
The decision is a combination of personal preference, and radio shape/size. Anyway give each grip a try, fly a few batteries and see how it feels. You may be surprised with how much more comfortable one method is than another.
But before switching, you have to ask yourself, do you have to? Are you looking to overcome certain problem with what you are doing?