My favourite 1S LiPo charger, the VIFLY WhoopStor 2, has recently received an upgrade with the release of the V3 model. The question on everyone’s mind is, does this update improve on its predecessor? Let’s dive in and find out in this review.
For those unfamiliar with the WhoopStor 2, it is a compact charger specifically designed for 1S batteries for more info: https://oscarliang.com/vifly-whoopstor-v2/
Wondering how to handle LiPo batteries properly? Check out my beginner’s guide: https://oscarliang.com/lipo-battery-guide/
Where to buy?
The WhoopStor V3 is available here:
- AliExpress: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DeZwHol
- GetFPV: https://oscarliang.com/product-pcpx
- RDQ: https://oscarliang.com/product-4ies
- Newbeedrone: https://oscarliang.com/product-modw
- Banggood: https://oscarliang.com/product-gjv5
- Amazon: https://amzn.to/3Yut9GB
If you want a compact setup you can get a PD charger to power the Whoopstor 3 via USB-C, such as the Anker 65W: https://amzn.to/3VE3yro.
In the box, it comes with the charger, a detailed user manual, a USB-C power cable, and six PH2.0 extension leads.
Why I Like Whoopstor
Two reasons why I like the Whoopstor chargers. Firstly, they are easy to use: you can plug in or unplug your whoop batteries any time, you don’t need to press any button it will just start charging.
Secondly, the Whoopstor is currently the only 1S charger that offers “storage charge” function. This helps bring your empty or fully charge batteries to the storage voltage at the end of a session to prolong the lifespan of your batteries.
What’s New in the V3 Compared to the V2?
For those who just got their hands on the WhoopStor V2, particularly with the recent sales, the question that might be looming is: what fresh features does the WhoopStor V3 bring to the table, and is it worth an upgrade?
The V3, at first glance, flaunts a more streamlined and professional looking housing, a significant departure from the open design of the previous.
It’s more refined, better build quality and just feels overall more durable. It also includes a cooling fan for more effective discharging, a feature not present in its predecessor.
It now features a vibrant OLED screen that displays the status of each charging slot, providing precise insight into your charging progress. In terms of power supply, you now have the option between an XT60 connector (either power supply or battery which can support up to 6S) and a USB-C socket for 9-20V PD3.0. There’s also a 5521 barrel connector for DC input (6-26V).
Notably, the maximum charge current has increased from 0.9A to 1.3A. 0.9A would be plenty for small packs like 300mAh, because you might not want to charge it too fast to risk overheating or faster performance degrade over time. However it allows for quicker charging of larger capacity 1S batteries. Just like its predecessor, the V3 still possesses the ability to storage charge LiPo batteries—a highlight that contributes significantly to its appeal.
One impressive feature of the Whoopstor 3 is the memory function. It remembers settings, saving you the trouble of setting up every time you unplug and plug in a battery. This is a great improvement from the original version.
Here are the specifications for the WhoopStor 3 Battery Charger:
- Input connectors: XT60, DC(5.5×2.1mm), USB-C(PD3.0)
- Input voltage range: 6V-26V (XT60 2S-6S Battery, DC), 9V-20V (USB-C)
- Maximum input power: 40W
- Maximum charging current: 1.3A/port
- Battery connection: PH2.0 & BT2.0
- Battery type compatibility: LiPO 4.20V(±0.05V) / LiHV 4.35V (±0.05V)
- Storage voltage: 3.80V (±0.05V) / 3.85V (±0.05V)
- Maximum discharge power: 1.1W/port
- Dimensions: 108x55x30mm
- Weight: 140g
The VIFLY WhoopStor V3 is packed with features designed to provide a flexible, efficient, and user-friendly 1S LiPo battery charging experience. Let’s take a closer look:
- Enhanced Charging Capacity: The V3’s maximum charging current has increased from 0.9A to 1.3A, making it more accommodating for larger capacity batteries, such as an 850mAh.
- Upgraded Design: The device boasts a new case with no exposed parts for added safety and durability.
- Colorful LED Screen: An improved colorful LED screen provides clearer visuals of each cell’s current, offering better monitoring capabilities.
- Efficient Heat Dissipation: The addition of a fan and larger heat sink significantly improves heat dissipation, enhancing the charger’s discharging efficiency.
- Audible Notifications: A new buzzer feature alerts you when the charging cycle is complete, ensuring no overcharging and better battery health.
- Memory for Settings: The V3 remembers your last current setting, saving you from setting it each time you use the charger.
- Support for 6S Battery Input: An added feature in the V3 is its compatibility with 6S battery input.
- Simplified Operations: The V3 eliminates switches, instead utilizing two buttons for all operations, simplifying user interaction.
- Storage Charger and Discharger: As the first 1S LiPo charger with a storage function, the WhoopStor 3 can automatically reach your target voltage, both when charging and discharging.
- Adjustable Charging Curent: The device offers a charge current range of 0.3A to 1.3A, allowing for different charge currents based on your battery size.
- Six Independent Ports: With six independent charging channels, you don’t need to ensure all batteries have the same voltage or size.
- Multiple Power Input: The V3 supports Type-C, XT60, and DC power input, however, it doesn’t support regular 5V USB charge.
A Close Look at the Whoopstor 3
The VIFLY WhoopStor 3 is a combination of a charger and discharger, basically a compact smart charger dedicated for 1S batteries.
The Whoopstor 3 has the same PH2.0 and BT2.0 connectors like its predecessor, the BT2.0 on the charger are also compatible with A30 batteries. Power can be provided via a DC barrel connector, an XT60 connector, or a USB connector.
Diverse Power Input Options
The WhoopStor 3 supports Type-C, XT60, and 5521 barrel inputs. The Type-C uses PD and QC protocols, supporting fast charging at 9V and 12V. However, please note, it doesn’t support regular 5V USB charging.
The Whoopstor 3 has two separate buttons, the left button is for setting current and start/stop, while the right button is for setting voltage. The connectors have been conveniently placed on top, making it easier to plug everything in. It also includes a color screen for more accessible and more precise monitoring.
To confirm the voltage accuracy of the ViFly Whoopstor V3 charger, I checked the voltage measurements using a calibrated DMM (digital multimeter). The results were spot on.
While my tests showed consistent measurements, I recommend checking yours when you get it to ensure it functions properly. Unfortunately, voltage calibration isn’t available, so if you encounter any issues, you might have to reaching out to ViFly for support.
How to Use
Using the Vifly WhoopStor 3 cannot be easier. When the charger powers up, you will see the input voltage.
When you plug in a battery, the WhoopStor 3 displays its voltage, and the charging process is initiated by a simple long press of the left button. While charging, you can see the amperage and battery voltage for each channel.
Before charging, you can set your target voltage, and the device automatically starts charging (or discharging).
With a short press of the right button, you can adjust the end voltage between 3.80V, 3.85V, 4.20V (normal LiPo) or 4.35V (LiHV), depending on your requirements.
You can also change the charging current from 0.3A to 1.3A by pressing the left button, with an increment of 0.1A per press. This flexibility ensures that you’re always charging your batteries at the right rate depending on battery size, maximizing their lifespan. I generally charge my 1S batteries at around 0.5A.
Unfortunately the current and voltage settings applies to all channels and they cannot be set individually.
One of the stand-out features of the WhoopStor 3 is its memory function. Once you’ve set your current and voltage, the device remembers it, freeing you from the need to adjust it every time you power on.
To start or stop charging, simply hold down the left button, or disconnect the battery from the charger. It cannot get more straight-forward.
The charger also supports silent mode (disabling the beeper), activated by a long press on the right button.
Here’s the user manual.
Overall, the Whoopstor 3 is a worthwhile investment for those who fly tiny whoops and need an efficient and user-friendly charging solution. The VIFLY WhoopStor V3 is a remarkable improvement from its predecessor, bringing noteworthy enhancements that facilitate a more versatile and user-friendly battery charging and storage experience. The charger’s combination of faster charging speeds, a sleeker design, improved thermal handling, and intuitive controls make it a highly compelling tool for those who regularly fly 1S micro drones such as tiny whoops.
The WhoopStor V3 is available here:
Get a PD charger to power the Whoopstor 3 via USB-C (Anker 65W): https://amzn.to/3VE3yro.
However, if you already own the original Whoopstor, the upgrade may not be necessary unless you require these new features. But for those starting, the Whoopstor 3 is a brilliant choice.
How to Update Whoopstor V3 Charger Firmware
- Power on the charger. On the startup splash screen, which displays the ViFly logo, note the version of the firmware currently installed on the charger. Remember this for reference.
- Download the firmware update program from the following link: https://viflydrone.com/pages/download-center
- Run the downloaded app and take note of the available COM ports.
- Go back to the charger. Hold down the “Start/Stop” button while connecting the charger to your computer using a USB-C cable plugged into the voltage input port.
- A new COM port labeled “STC USB Writer (HID1)” should appear in the app. If you don’t see this COM port, try unplugging the cable and waiting for a moment before trying again. It may take a few attempts.
- In the app, click the “Download” button. The firmware update will begin automatically. At this point, all you need to do is wait for the update to finish.
- Once the update is complete, disconnect the charger from computer, power on the charger and check to ensure that the latest firmware has been successfully installed.