I have been asked multiple times about the new Holybro Kakute F4 AIO V2, what’s new in the new version, and how to wire up things. So I decided to make a post about it.
Update (Sep 2018): Holybro released an F7 board and you might want to consider it over the F4.
Update (July 2018): Holybro released the F7 version of the Kakute AIO FC.
The biggest change in the Kakute F4 AIO V2 is the pin layout, they rearranged it so it’s now a bit confusing for some people, also given the fact that they didn’t update the manual for a long time.
|Kakute F4 AIO V1||Kakute F4 AIO V2|
Differences between V1 and V2
Here is a summary of the differences:
- 2 UART’s added in the V2 (5 vs 3)
- Additional UART 4 for serial communication such as controlling the Runcam Split
- Additional UART 5 RX for ESC telemetry, the pin is available at each corner of the board, next to ESC signals for easy wiring
- Solder pads are replaced by through-holes, you can now solder on both sides of the board
- Added Barometer sensor, making it a great option for Betaflight as well as iNav firmware
- i2c pin-outs are available for external sensors such as GPS, making the Kakute a more versatile FC
- Motor outputs have been reduced from 6 to 4
The rest of the spec are identical to the V1.
Some closeup shots of the V2:
Connection Diagram – Pin out
The connection is more or less the same as the Kakute F4 AIO V1. Anyway here is a list of pins and what they are used for.
|B+||Battery positive voltage (2S-6S)||5V||1.5A max|
|VO||Video output to VTX||VI||Video input from FPV camera|
|R6||UART 6 RX||T6||UART 6 TX|
|R4||UART 4 RX||T4||UART 4 TX|
|R3||UART 3 RX – inverted for SBUS||T3||UART 3 TX|
|SP||UART 1, inverted for SmartPort||5V||1.5A max|
|GND||Ground||3V3||3.3V – 200mA max|
|RX5||UART 5 RX – ESC Telemetry|
|BUZ-||Buzzer negative, connect positive to 5V|
The Kakute F4 AIO V2 is available as a standalone FC, and it can now be purchased with other components as a bundle for a discount too:
- Kakute F4 AIO V2 + 4x Tekko32 35A BLHeli_32 ESC’s
- Kakute F4 AIO V2 + 4x Tekko32 35A BLHeli_32 ESC’s + Atlatl HV VTX