To take advantage of the big beautiful color screen in the TX16S, T18 and T16 radios, you should upload personalised startup logo, background and model images. In this tutorial I will show you the steps how to setup custom splash screen as well as background and model images.
The RadioMaster TX16S (review) is currently my new everyday radio, you can get it from:
Image Size/Format Requirement
- Path: /IMAGE/splash.png
- Dimensions: 480×272 px
- Path: /THEMES/DEFAULT/background.png
- Dimensions: 480×272 px
- Path: /IMAGE/******.png (image name max 6 characters)
- Dimensions: 192×114 px
I have a folder full of images you can download, https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1K-rlJuF6ITKTlGCY536bvWW4xn3A5S5H?usp=sharing
Splash Screen, Background and Model Images Explained
The Splash screen is basically the image that appear when you power on the radio. You can change how long it stays on before moving to the home screen in the system settings.
Background image is displayed in the background of the home screen.
Model images are the icon/logo you want to assigned to a model profile.
Personally I like to use the logos of radio protocol instead of the actual images of my models, because I use the same model profile for all the models of that particular protocol. That way is just easier to manage for me, because I have way too many models :)
Do you like the customized interface color and layout? You can get creative and create your own style following this guide.
How to Put Images in Radio
- Choose a image in my folder, or search on Google (images.google.com)
- Make sure the image has the required dimension and file format (480×272, PNG), if not you have to first edit it
- Open the image in your favourite image editor (for example, Gimp or Photoshop)
- Resize/crop the image to 480×272 px
- Save the image in PNG format
- Rename the image file to splash.png / background.png
- Lastly, place the image file in the required directory on the SD card inside the radio
- For Splash.png = > /IMAGE/
- For Background => /THEMES/DEFAULT/
- Optionally, it’s best to compress the images, the smaller the image, the faster it loads. There are a ton of image compressors online, just google “png file compressor”
Splash image and background image are interchangeable since the image sizes are the same.
There are two ways to access the SD card inside an OpenTX radio:
- Take SD card out of the radio and insert it to your computer
- Or, connect the radio with a USB cable. But first you have to enter bootloader mode
Splash / Background Image Not Showing?
If your image doesn’t work, try to open both the original image file from the radio and your new image, then copy your image and overwrite the original image. Save it and copy it back to the radio.
Also try to compress the images to similar size as the original file.
Setting Custom Model Images
- Choose a image in my folder, or search on Google (images.google.com). Make sure the image has the required dimension and file format (192×114, PNG), if not you have to edit it
- Rename the image file anything you like, but make sure the filename doesn’t exceed 6 characters
- Place the image file in the IMAGE folder (same folder as background.png)
- Finally go to Model Settings in the radio, and select Model Image (under Model Name)
- Dec 2019 – Guide created
- Jun 2021 – Updated instructions